"For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control."
- 2 Peter 1:5-7
Church staff members have always faced incredible challenges, and the arrival of digital technology has added yet another layer of stress. In today's digital world, the role of religion in helping establish a strong, faith-based morality cannot be overstated. For if morality governs our actions when we cannot be seen, then no where is morality more critical than in the digital world.
The fact is, the digital world cannot be ignored - either at home or in the church - because it is an integral part of today's society. At Neptune Navigate, we believe that with the right resources and set of tools church staff can play an important role in teaching responsible digital citizenship to today's youth. There is no lack of information on this topic for church staff. A Google search of "digital citizenship" quickly reveals hundreds, if not thousands, of articles. Unfortunately, most churches don't have the resources to dedicate to combing through this constantly growing and changing list of materials and translating it into useful information.
Neptune Navigate does exactly that: we cull and curate the wealth of data on digital citizenship and turn it into easily understandable, ready-to-use, and timely tools for church leaders and congregation members.
HEAR FROM OUR CHIEF NAVIGATOR ON WHY SHE IS DOING THIS
LEARN EXACTLY WHAT NAVIGATE FOR CHURCHES PROVIDES
SEE SOME EXAMPLES OF THE TYPE OF ISSUES WE WILL ADDRESS
- Digital Citizenship Overview - What does it mean to be a ‘responsible digital citizen’ and how do you know if you and/or your kids are being one?
- Privacy - How do you protect your most important information and safeguard against others intruding where they should not?
- Parental Monitoring/Restrictions - What means and tools can be used to insure children aren’t “surfing” where they shouldn’t be?
- Age Appropriateness - At what age should - or shouldn't - children be accessing various devices, apps, and sites?
- Digital World Etiquette - What are the proper ways of engaging with others in this digital world, as well as ways to govern yourself.
- Tech Laws - How is the legal world addressing the ever-evolving digital world?
- Cyber Bullying - How do you spot, report, and most importantly, prevent bullying in the digital realm?
- Digital Footprint - What does your online life say about you and how to you make sure that you say in control of it?
- New App & Website Reviews - What’s the latest and greatest out there, and most of all, who is and isn’t it appropriate for?
- Fake News / Spam / Phishing - How do you know if you should believe what you see or read on the web?
- Digital World Basics - What are the “must knows” of living in the digital age?
These are just a few examples of the types of deliverables that Neptune Navigate will provide:
- Navigate Notes - One Page reviews of articles, posts, videos, Ted Talks, etc. that summarize what you need to know and what you need to do. We also include a link to the original work (for more in-depth knowledge, if desired), as well as accompanying materials for social media posts, posters, handouts, and group discussions.
- Navigate Guides - In-depth, easy-to-understand multi page slides or videos on a particular topic or subject matter designed to give you the information you need without overwhelming you. There will be accompanying materials for social media posts, posters, handouts, and group discussions.
- NaviTalks - Group discussion guides with answer keys. These will always accompany each major deliverable to help embed learning with your congregation.
- Navigate Quick Vids - Short videos to alert you to new websites or apps, or to address a particularly relevant topic.
- Navigraphics - Infographics on particular topics designed to convey key information in easy-to-understand visualizations. They will also be formatted for social media posts, digital communications, posters, handouts, or for classroom group discussions.
Our chief Navigator, Christina Jontra, has been a featured speaker digital citizenship at schools, churches, and conferences since 2012 – always to rave reviews. For an additional fee, Christina can come present at your church to one or several audiences, depending on your church's needs.
* subject to availability
EXAMPLES OF THE DELIVERABLES
THE INFORMATION YOU NEED WHEN YOU NEED IT
The Neptune Navigate deliverables are continuously being added to as new developments take place in the digital world. As new apps or games come online, new rules and regulations are implemented, and more is learned about what does and does not work in regards to cybersecurity, we will provide you with what you need to know and what you need to do.
As the digital world evolves, so, too, will our deliverables. We will update what has been provided to reflect the latest available information whenever it is appropriate to do so.
Each month, you will receive a notification of what all has been added and what has been updated in the Neptune Navigate library.
Of course, some things can't wait. Whenever there is a new development in the digital world we think you should know about right away, we will email you a NavAlert, usually a video or one-page summary of what you need to know and what, if anything, you need to do.
THE INFORMATION YOU NEED THE WAY YOU WANT IT
The Neptune Navigate deliverables can be accessed in two ways: Calendar View and Library View
- The deliverables are organized by week, with a topic-of-the-week, such as "Cyber Bullying" or "Digital Footprint."
- Everything you need for the week is available, including a key deliverable (presentation, video, or handout), a discussion guide, posters, and two social media posts.
- You can follow the weeks in sequence or pick-and-choose what weeks you want to run when.
- If you would like to have a focus month, such as Cyber Bullying Month, you can easily combine four of the individual Cyber Bullying weeks to do so.
- All available deliverables are arranged by topic, with subfolders, by type of deliverable (Navigate Note, Video, Social Media Post, etc.)
- This gives you maximum flexibility to use what you want whenever you want.
- Deliverables are added to and updated continuously with notifications each month on what has been added or updated.
Neptune Navigate is ready for implementation when you are. We currently have over 250 pieces of content available for immediate use, with more being added all the time. The cost of an Annual Subscription package is $1,200, which gives you access to all materials for 365 days, invitations to our monthly webinars, and automatic NavAlerts. Contact us for more information.